Student News Site of Harvest Middle School

Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under Student Life

My Catalina Experience

This year, a group of about 100 students from Harvest and Redwood Middle Schools went on a week long trip to Catalina Island in late September of this year.

I was among them and after seven hours on a bus overnight, and two hours on a boat, we finally arrived at our home for the next seven days. The name of the camp we landed at was Fox Landing, and I first thought when seeing the camp was that it looked much smaller than I thought it would be.

I didn’t have much time to ponder this fact because as soon as we settled into the cabins, we jumped right into our first snorkel. I thought it was really cool but the wetsuits were a tight fit even a size too big. Kayaking was the memorable event of the following day and I found that it was much harder to tip a kayak while rowing if you know how to pilot it.

Wednesday, we were back in the water for more snorkeling followed by another snorkel during that night. The water was pretty cold at first but the nocturnal fish were really cool and I think it was well worth it.

Thursday was the day we took our kayaks and rowed over to another beach to spend the day swimming, snorkeling or doing any other random activities that were provided. I spent the whole day swimming and hanging out with my friends that went on the trip with me.

Finally, Friday, the final day of our trip in the morning, we hiked up a mountain at 6:30 a.m. to see the sunrise across the ocean. The entire morning was spent in various labs where we learned about different types of aquatic animals such as rays, bony fish and octopi.

Looking back on my experience on Catalina island, I know there are some things that I wish I could do again and some things that I wish I did that I didn’t do. I think it was an amazing trip filled with new knowledge and fun activities that I probably would not have done otherwise.