Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under News

Napa High School Goes on Lockdown While HMS Practices Safety Drill

Napa Valley Register

On Wednesday, January 17th, Napa police responded to two shootings within two hours, and two people being transported to the hospital. The first shooting, at the Starbucks on Lincoln and Jefferson Streets, caused a lockdown to be put in place at Napa High School immediately. Nicholas Angelo Zazzarino, a 28 year old white male, was arrested for both shootings at the scene of the second incident in the Linda Vista area.

Gun Reform in The U.S.A

Napa High School went on lockdown upon hearing the first reports of gunfire at around 8:30. The lockdown lasted over two hours. Ironically, an “active shooter” drill, which had been previously scheduled, was taking place in all Harvest Middle School classrooms. News of the Napa lockdown spread quickly among students.

The incidents began at about 8:20 a.m., when Napa police responded to a shooting outside of the Starbucks that left a 23 year old man with a gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to police reports. The victim was taken away in an ambulance to the Queen of the Valley Medical Center. Police quickly closed off the scene in the case that the shooter was still in the area or the Starbucks. By 8:45am the police had closed off Lincoln Street to traffic and blocked off the scene.

The suspect reportedly fled the area as a passenger in an early 2000s green Ford Expedition. He was described as a white male in his early 20s. Police later pursued the vehicle and issued an Nixle alert asking the public to avoid the area until further notice.

While still at the Starbucks, just before 10:00am, police received another call about a shooting on the 3300 block of Macbeth Street in west Napa, A 66 year old man had been shot in the chest in the vicinity of Baywood Lane and Maclennan Street, according to Napa Police Capt. Pat Manzer. That man was also taken to the Queen of the Valley Medical Center with life threatening injuries.

A 911 call to report a suspect that had just entered a home on the 3200 block of Baywood Lane. Police responded to the call and apprehended the suspect, later identifying him as Zazzarino, finding a 9mm semi-automatic handgun in his possession

The victim in the second shooting noticed Zazzarino acting suspiciously near a neighbors fence and asked what he was doing, and while the two were talking, Zazzarino shot him and fled the scene on foot. The victim apparently was able to drive back to his residence on Baywood Lane and call 911.

“The victim may have observed the suspect acting suspicious, made contact and, for whatever reason, the suspect shot him,” Manzer said Wednesday afternoon. “He may just be a very poor innocent victim.” As for the first shooting, the police currently have no motive.