Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under TV, Uncategorized

Fandom of the Month: February- Stranger Things

Ida Killebrew & Emily Wall

Though released in mid 2016, Stranger Things has skyrocketed in popularity in the past

months.  Starring Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Millie Bobby Brown, Noah Schnapp, David Harbour, and Winona Ryder, this show gained a massive fandom in weeks.

It tells the tale of three middle school nerds: Mike Wheeler, Lucas Sinclair, and Dustin Henderson. Accompanied by a psychic girl, burdened police officer, scared sister and a worried mom and brother, the group venture on a quest to find their friend, Will Byers, who vanished mysteriously one night. Together, they face the paranormal as well as the normal.

Stranger Things consists of two seasons, the first focused on the search for Will, their missing friend. The second, their attempt to recover from the trauma experienced during their hunt. People enjoy Stranger Things due to its suspensefully captivating plot, good production, and endearing, relatable characters.

We interviewed members of the fandom. Sebastian Sierra says, “I like Stranger Things because the characters are so diverse, the storyline is awesome, and it has figures of power like Millie Bobby Brown.”

Karla Dominguez, a passionate fan, had a lot to say. “I like Stranger Things because it has a little bit of everything. It has a love story, it’s a little bit horror, it’s also comedy and so much more. Episode after episode it keeps you hooked. I finished season two the day it came out because I had to find out what happens next. You end up falling in love with the characters and their actors they’re all amazing.”

Katie Haubold had a more crazed response. “Oh my God Stranger Things! Noah Schnapp, Mileven, Lucas and Max! They’re so good at acting!” Congratulations Katie Haubold, you’re well on your way to becoming a fangirl.

We conducted a survey for which character is the most popular. Results were varied. People tended to like different characters. The results narrowed down in the end, but we did end with a tie. The most popular Stranger Things characters are… Steve Harrington, Dustin Henderson, and Jim Hopper! Though, many said that they really took to Steve after season one.

Creators Ross and Matt Duffer have confirmed season three and four of Stranger Things. It is said that there will be three new characters, more mythology of the Upside Down (sinister parallel dimension), and more character backstory. The fandom is eagerly anticipating devouring the new content soon to come!

Coming up: Fandom of the Month: March- Marvel