Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under Environment

Our Affect on Ocean Life

Ocean pollution is a serious problem. Ocean life is being harmed in a deeper way than we know. Human activities are changing the ecosystems in the ocean beyond their natural state.

The largest source of pollution is called nonpoint source pollution (Eutrophication). It is a result of runoff. Runoff is when harmful substances are washed into the ocean by water drainage, which sometimes can make the body of water have excessive richness, which leads to the death of aquatic animals due to lack of oxygen.

Introduced species is another type of pollution. An introduced species is, in the ocean’s case, either taken from its habitat or frightened away from by humans. This may not seem like pollution but it can be. It causes the species originally in the habitat to be eaten by the introduced species, or lose food sources. This then results in over-population.

Some pollution starts with air pollution. The ocean can absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and make the ocean more acidic and making it unbearable for some species of fish.

How do we prevent these different types of pollution from happening? As a start, we can stop throwing harmful chemicals and products into bodies of water. We could also stop moving animals/fish from their natural habitat. We could ride a bike more often, instead of polluting the air with exhaust.

It is impossible for the ocean to go back to its original state, but it can be improved. By making sure we limit the harmful things we do and relax with throwing garbage and plastic into the ocean, it would stop becoming dirtier. Let’s come together and make the world a cleaner place.