Eyes of the Hawk

The Effect of Horror Movies

October is upon us! Which means it is time for some scary topics. The topic for this spooky month is the effect of horror movies on the mind and body. What happens to your subconscious after you watch one, Does it cause sleeplessness and even an inside look at how one of the most popular horror movies had subliminal messages! Now sit back, relax, and grab your bag of candy because it’s time to begin!Image result for movie theater patrons reacting

Sleeplessness

Usually, after watching a movie, you feel a bit on edge and excited, leaving you wanting to sleep, but when you try to relax and close your eyes, you somehow can’t fall into unconsciousness? Well, that is because when watching a horror movie, your mind takes it as reality, triggering your fight or flight response. When your FOF(fight or flight) response is active, your heart starts pumping faster, making you ready for action. As the article at YoungDiggers.com.au states, “During this reaction, certain hormones like adrenaline and cortisol are released, speeding the heart rate, slowing digestion, shunting blood flow to major muscle groups and changing various other autonomic nervous functions, giving the body a burst of energy and strength.”

(http://www.youngdiggers.com.au/fight-or-flight)

Nightmares

Since your dreams are just memories played back to you in different ways, nightmares are also from memory. After watching a horror movie, your mind is most likely going to take in that information and store it, causing you to remember it while dreaming. Since the horror movie was a bad memory, your body will recreate how you felt while watching the movie, making you feel scared, anxious, and it will also increase your heart rate. Having an increased heart rate can lead to a half form of exercise, which then leads to weight loss.   

Weight Loss

Weight loss seems like a good thing right? Well, it can be, sometimes. Good weight loss is one thing, rapid weight loss is another. Accelerated weight loss puts physical demands on the body. Severe risks include dehydration, that can be avoided by drinking lots of water, and the creation of gallstones.  

Conclusion

So scary movies can have some scary effects, but that depends who you are. Don’t feel that you can handle a horror movie than don’t have yourself be dragged into one. Everyone is different. Now that you know this information, you might not wanna watch horror movies. That’s okay, you just need to remember that it’s not real! Happy Halloween!