Eyes of the Hawk

Teen Suicide Awareness

Suicide, in our opinion, isn’t talked about enough. It is the second leading cause of death for ages 12-24 according to a 2015 report. But, its a big part of our society, unfortunately. We wanted to bring light to the topic and interviewed our fellow classmates at our school about how they Since its a more mature topic we asked only 7th and 8th graders.       

First, Here some back in forth between students and us. Nico Franco (8th grader) was someone we asked questions. He has lost someone to suicide. He feels as though it was a selfless act and he was very upset and disappointed. He thinks middle and high schools take their own life because of bullying. Another student we asked was Morgan Cravea (8th grade). Morgan thinks suicide is a very bad thing. Even though she hasn’t lost anyone to it, she believes the effect on the loved ones is sadness for the rest of their life. Talking to a counselor is the way to help someone who is having suicidal thoughts.

Here are some other responses we received: Christian Satterfield was another student we asked. Christian had very different responses than others. He has lost someone to suicide, he agrees with it being a very sad thing but also thinks they got to move on respectfully. He also thinks a lot of suicides are caused by mental health problems and abuse. He stated, “If mental health was cheaper”. He meant that if doctor visits and medicine weren’t as expensive, it would be a way to prevent suicide. The last person we interviewed was Brooklyn Blankenship (7th grade). Brooklyn sadly has lost one of her loved ones to this. She states it’s a very sad thing and she feels that she has ¨ let him down¨. She feels like she could have down something to prevent it. She just wants people to be nicer to one another and love each other for who we are.

Overall, this is how some middle schoolers feel and their stories.  Suicide is something that is taking people from this world and we need to stop it. Be kind to others. Always be there for someone that may need you. No one is alone in this world there’s always someone that loves and cares about you.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Teen Suicide

By: Mikayla Robertson

Each year 44,965 Americans die from suicide.

There are approximately 123 suicides a day.

For every suicide, 25 attempt to commit suicide.

The three most common ways people do so are either, shooting themselves, poisoning themselves, or suffocation.

Most people start thinking of suicide if they are failing school, losing friendships, parents are divorcing, or break ups.

Some signs of suicide are; talking about wanting to die, looking for a way to die, using alcohol or drugs, sleeping too little/ too much. Please always take people seriously when they show these signs and get them help.

You can call NSPL (National Suicide Prevention Lifeline)

or get them a therapist.

Suicide is 10th leading cause of death in the United States of America.