Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under Happy Holidays

Why do we put up Christmas Trees?

Image result for christmas trees

Christmas Trees are an iconic part of the holiday season. Every child loves the day that their family decorates the tree.

They are used to put up memories that you have shared with the ones you love, but have you ever wondered why we put up the tree in the first place?

Why we put up Christmas trees?

The main reason that we started putting up Christmas tree started with the evergreen fir tree that was used to celebrate winter festivals used by the pagans and or Christians For thousands of years.

The Pagans used the branches to decorate their homes during the winter solstice it made them think of the spring that would come soon. But Christians used it as a sign of everlasting life with God, Though it isn’t quite clear when this started. Also, it is unclear why Fir trees are used but that started or was traced back to 1,000 years ago in Northern Europe But many early Christmas trees were not placed like we know them today they were hanging upside down from either a chandelier or lighting hooks.

But back to the main question Why do we put up Christmas trees?  Well actually it was hard to find an answer but based on speculations it is most likely due to the fact of religions the Christians and the pagans it most likely goes back to there use of the trees to celebrate winter festivals.

The First Tree

The first tree used to celebrate Christmas and New Year is argued between the cities Tallinn in Estonia and Riga in Latvia. Both claim they had the first trees. The ‘BrotherHood Blackheads’ put up both trees.

They were an association of unmarried merchants, ship owners, and foreigners. Not much is known about the trees except they were put up in the town square.

The first tree to be brought into a house the way we do was by a 16-century preacher Martin Luther.

Lights and Stars

Christmas lights started becoming popular in 1900 but were very expensive. Around then not many houses had electricity in their house so the people how would buy or rent lights were rich, and boy did they like to show them off. Installed Christmas light cost about $300 back then. That’s about $2000 today!

Early Christmas tree decorations were mostly all edible. From gingerbread and apples to wafers and sweets. At first, a figure of baby Jesus would be placed on the top of the tree but over time it changed from an angel or fairy to the star like the one the wise men saw.  

In conclusion, if you do or don’t celebrate this holiday We hope you learned something new about this holiday.