Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under News, Uncategorized

Women March for the Future: Napa Women’s March 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Saturday, January 19, 2019, marked another day of Napa marching around in a part of town chanting, waving signs and speaking out. The Napa Valley Women’s March. This year’s march was as well attended as the three other marches. Men, Women, Children, and Teenagers all joined together for one purpose: seeking equality for all. Many were, like always, holding signs about women’s rights, and president Donald Trump. New signs showed the faces of the 102 women taking the 453 seats in the U.S House of Congress such as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. Rashida Tlaib is the first Muslim woman to serve Congress. These are just two examples of the 102 women the House right now.

Young teenagers chanted and supported their 16-year-old peer, friend, vice president of Students for Change club, Larkin Dewyer. Junior, Larkin Dewyer is a student activist that spoke at the march and spread her wisdom and passion to the crowd through her essay she submitted for this year’s Women’s March. Interviewing Dewyer was quite inspiring.

Q: “Why do you come/ attend women’s marches?”

Dewyer: “ It started last year, I put on Students Talk to Congress at my high school and from there Students For Change got a name in the community. So, [um] I became a representative for them, as a founder. So, [uh] and then I won the essay contest for this, [Uh] so and I really like to public speak and I like representing the club and getting my voice out so people can like hear what we have to say and why it’s important.”

Q: “What are your thoughts on the women filling the House seats?”

Dewyer: “Oh, I think it’s great, it’s great. It’s about time too. It should have happened years ago, but at least it’s happening now.”

Q: “What would you say to young girls today to encourage them?”

Dewyer: “[Uh], to not listen to men who tell them to smile on the streets or if they get cat-called or whatever, if they’re objectified to stand their ground and know they’re more than that and that they make a difference.”

From teen, Larkin Dewyer I heard from more wise voices like Emily Golla.

Q: “Why do you attend these Women’s Marches?”

Golla: “I think it’s important for our future. I mean, if we don’t band together to make things better, there’s really no option other than it’s gonna get worse. So, we have to, [we have to].

Q: ”What are your thoughts on the hundred and two women filling the 435 seats in the House of Representatives?”

Golla: “It’s unbelievably fantastic to see, to see, occupations and positions that have been traditionally male, [Um] convert to female positions and not because it’s a female against male issue but so that there’s more equality and better understanding of the female position with more females in law.”

Q: “What would you say to young girls today to encourage them about their future?”

Golla: “Stand up for yourself. Stand up for others and make sure that you always have a voice because you can’t be heard otherwise.  

These two women are both looking at all of the women around the world stand up against hate and bigotry. Use your voice to express your anger, frustration, and thoughts. Encourage the little girls of today, to fight for their tomorrow and their children’s tomorrow.