How Anxiety Affects Students Learning

According to some research 8 and 9-year-olds learn more slowly than age-mates of lower levels of trait anxiety.

The research was made at 3 Canberra primary schools, 119 students from those schools participated in the test I guess, the test consisted of students listening to a series of 15 words 5 times and 25 mins later they had to repeat the words or as many words as they could remember.

The test proved that students with high anxiety levels scored 85th percentile and they had to hear the 15 words 5 times and the students with the lower anxiety levels only had to hear the 15 words 4 times instead of 5, and they were able to remember more words 25 mins later.

Anxiety in a lot of cases leads to school refusal which causes misbehaviors in the morning to avoid school, periodic absences or skipping of classes, and complete absence from school for an extended period of time.

Some attentional studies show that anxious students rapidly and mainly focus on threatening stimulus rather than focusing on neutral or positive stimulus.

Anxiety takes up mental capacity needed for other tasks, as worry increases the capacity to concentrate on academic tasks and solve problems increases.

Anxiety is also associated with decreased short term memory capacity.

Anxiety symptoms include various physical complaints, sleep disturbance, fatigue, nausea, headaches, and unexplained illness.