Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under Movies

A Silent Voice

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Silent Voice

A silent voice( otherwise known as the sound of voice) is an animated movie produced by Kyoto animation Directed by Naoko Yamada, and based of off The Manga series written and Illustrated by Yoshitoki Oima. The movie Premiered September 17, 2016, in Japan, and premiered in American theaters on October 20, 2017  (and again on January 28 and 31st).

A silent Voice based is in Japan and follows Shoya a boy who in elementary School bullied Shoko a deaf girl, And later on his Journey to try and Fix his mistakes.

This is from the point of view of someone who regularly prefers the manga over the anime or movie adaptation and that is the case with this movie that being said let’s get into the review!

The movie does follow the plot of the manga from what I can tell (though at the time of seeing the movie and writing this I have only read Volumes 1-3), Though It ’s missing So many things that make the story so Emotional and Beautiful.

For Example (Spoilers!)  A scene in which made me cry in the first volume was when We see that Shoko was washing Shoya’s desk to get rid of the written bullying on it( which we didn’t find out until later), and he then got angry at her and called her a freak, This scene was powerful enough to make me cry (my opinion obviously and sorry if that doesn’t make sense but if you read the manga you would understand), but in the movie this scene barely had any power this was the same throughout the entirety of the movie it just felt lacking.

But now let’s discuss some of the positives the animation is pretty great, and Maria(Shoya’s older sisters young daughter) who in the movie became my favorite character because well she’s just so cute and brings light and happiness to all the scenes she’s in.  This movie though is one I believe you can enjoy and there’s always the possibility that you won’t agree with my opinion but even if that’s the case I hope you enjoyed reading this.