Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under Weird News

Unusual Pets

Sugar glider

Sugar glider

Introduction

Everyone loves a cute pet, but some people like more exotic animals. Here are some animals you probably didn’t know you could have as a pet.

Sugar Glider

Sugar Gliders are popular exotic pets and can be known as pocket pets. In the wild, sugar gliders live in groups of up to 15 or 30. Sugar glider owners should be aware that they need a lot of space, attention, and have a special diet. They are very energetic and cannot be toilet trained. A clever way to bond with them is to let them sit in a pocket or pouch around your neck.  

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach

Here’s an animal you never thought could be a loving member of your family. The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach is one of the largest cockroach species and is native to the large island of Madagascar. A ten to a fifteen-gallon tank will hold several roaches, and being tropical creatures, they need a precise temperature. They eat a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, unlike other roaches who consume rotten foods. Here is a video showing how loud a Hissing Cockroach can get.

Hedgehog

You may be thinking that having a pet hedgehog would be weird and unsafe, but many people in the US have hedgehogs as pets. The African Pygmy hedgehog originates from Africa( as it says in the title).  Hedgehogs generally can have a diet of specially formulated hedgehog kibble. Hedgehogs obviously have a lot of spines that are uncomfortable to hold. Tamed hedgehogs like to crawl in your hands, they liked to be carried around.

Kinkajou

Kinkajous look like monkeys, but they are more closely related to raccoons. They live from 25 to 30 years and only bond with 1 or 2 people so they are not fit to move from owner to owner in their lifetime, so owning one is a commitment. An ideal owner would have a similar nocturnal lifestyle like their pet. Kinkajous are a little messy because they often toss their food at mealtime and toilet training is difficult, but they tend to choose a few areas to do their business. Kinkajous eat a variety of food in the wild like honey and tropical fruits as well as eggs, frogs, and insects.

Closing Words

Now, these few animals are only a fragment of the exotic pets you could have. Taking care of exotic animals is difficult and should not be taken lightly, for your safety and theirs. Always remember to read as much information as possible when considering adopting an exotic animal to make sure that the animal has everything it needs to have a long and happy life.  

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Unusual Pets”

1. Eduardo Martinez on March 5th, 2019 2:27 pm

I like your story, it was very interesting, I wish i could have a Sugar Glider

2. anthony on March 5th, 2019 2:35 pm

the picture was cute

The Hawk staff reserves the right to edit or delete any comments we deem inappropriate. Please refrain from negative personal comments, but please tell us if you like something you read or see something that could be better.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Unusual Pets

Uncategorized

Cats are afraid of cucumbers? Yes, and here’s why!

• Unusual Pets

Weird News

Xtreme Barbie Jeep Racing

• Unusual Pets

Special Report

Notre Dame

• Unusual Pets

Book Review

Factfulness

• Unusual Pets

CAASPP

CAASPP Practice

• Unusual Pets

Student Life

Harvest Pi Day 2019!

• Unusual Pets

Journalism Practice Activities

Journalism Class Online Research

• Unusual Pets

Harvest FUNDRAISERS

Hoops for Hearts Basketball Game: Students Vs. Teachers

• Unusual Pets

St.Patrick's Day

St Patrick’s Day

• Unusual Pets

Harvest FUNDRAISERS

Teachers Meet Pie!

Student News Site of Harvest Middle School
Unusual Pets