Eyes of the Hawk

Filed under News, Uncategorized

Napa PD Wants Funding to Hire Second Middle School Resource Officer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Napa Police chief Robert Plummer told a gathering of parents at Vintage High School  that a new school resource officer will be among his priorities for the coming budget request.

Napa Police chief Robert Plummer told a gathering of parents at Vintage High School that a new school resource officer will be among his priorities for the coming budget request.

Napa Valley Register

Napa Valley Register

Napa Valley Register

Approximately a month after a threatened mass shooting at River Middle School, which Harvest shares a campus with, the Napa Police Department is trying to receive funding to hire a second officer to work in middle schools in the NVUSD, according to Napa Police Chief Robert Plummer.

Following the Jan. 2 arrest of a 14-year-old River student after threats of a mass shooting at River or Vintage High School, the Napa Police scheduled a meeting on school safety, in which Robert Plummer spoke and in response to a parent’s inquiry as to whether the department has considered allocating more resources to schools.

There are three officers who currently work with students in Napa Schools, one for the four middle schools, one for Napa High School, and one for Vintage. The Napa Police estimates it will need $150,000 to $180,000 to hire another school resource officer, said spokesperson Lt. Chase Haag.

“As the community grows, as the school district grows, as more violence is prevalent … I think it’s important to have that positive police interaction with students,” Plummer told over 50 parents in the Vintage High School’s theater. NVUSD officials also spoke about safety procedures and what they are going to do to for school safety going forward into the year.

Officers were asked questions about the process of the recent investigation but were unable to share much information because of the sensitive topic and the age of the suspect. Many students are scared to speak up about situations like this because they are afraid of being called a snitch, and Sgt. Andrew Hess encouraged parents to have their children get to know resource officers at their schools.

I spoke to School Resource Officer Koford and asked him a few questions about school safety and his experience interacting with students on the four campuses in the district. I asked him if hiring a second resource officer for middle school campuses in the NVUSD would benefit their security, and he said, “Yes, I do. It would definitely benefit the schools’ security because the response time would be much shorter if there was an incident.”

Regarding if his experience interacting with students on campus was positive, he said, “Yes, one of the reasons I took this assignment was to have more positive experiences throughout the day.” I also asked him about the importance of Say Something week, an event organized by the Sandy Hook Promise organization, which was created after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting  that occurred on December 14, 2012, and was made to build a national movement of parents, schools and community organizations engaged and empowered to deliver gun violence prevention programs. He replied, “It is extremely important, if nobody reports anything to me, I can only take care of what I can see.”

Students are also encouraged to text police about school-related concerns by texting “707 Safe” and their message to Tip411. Tips are referred to school resource officers, counselors, teachers and parents.

About the Writer
Joe Collar, Editor

Joe is a 13-year-old boy who currently attends HMS in the eighth grade. He enjoys playing the guitar and writing stories. He’s always listening...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Napa PD Wants Funding to Hire Second Middle School Resource Officer”

1. Quinlin Gallagher on March 5th, 2019 2:05 pm

This was a great article. I liked how it gave more information about the actions the school is going to take after the threat.

2. Carson on March 5th, 2019 2:06 pm

Great story, learned a lot. I really think that we could use another resource source officer.

3. mikayla robertson on March 5th, 2019 2:18 pm

good story

The Hawk staff reserves the right to edit or delete any comments we deem inappropriate. Please refrain from negative personal comments, but please tell us if you like something you read or see something that could be better.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Napa PD Wants Funding to Hire Second Middle School Resource Officer

News

Women March for the Future: Napa Women’s March 2019

News

American Canyon High School Goes on Lockdown After Students are Robbed off Campus

News

Reporter From Napa Leaves Fox News After 17 Years

News

What Harvest Students Think About Shootings in Yountville

News

Lunar Eclipse, Blood Moon, Super Moon: The Sight of a Lifetime

News

Women’s March Napa Valley 2018

News

Napa High School Goes on Lockdown While HMS Practices Safety Drill

News

Lunch Rules Changed for the 2017-18 School Year

News

The Biggest Technology Change at Harvest Yet!

News

Sixth Grade Field Day

Student News Site of Harvest Middle School