Students React to Dress Code at Harvest

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students React to Dress Code at Harvest

Dress codes have been around for a while, they have been used to tell students, employees, waiters, and more what the requirements are for what they have to wear going into the workplace. 

In schools, it sometimes seems that dress codes have been more specifically focused on what girls have to wear to meet school standards; they have included things like the length of shorts, skirts, dresses, showing undergarments, how thick your tank top strap is and more.

Many students surveyed agreed that some things in schools dress codes can be unreasonable, but most also never thought it was something worth protesting. 

Though there have been girls that have protested and spoken their minds, not all of them have succeeded in changing minds of the school staff. But while interviewing students, we found there were very few that have a problem with the rules because they don’t normally wear ripped jeans or other clothes that were not allowed in the dress code. The most complaints about the dress code were about shorts and jeans. 

Olivia Lopez-Magro said, “I think the shorts policy is fine, but the ripped jeans rule doesn’t make any sense, they should be more strict with sagging jeans.”  

A lot of girls also said that it’s not always easy fitting leggings under their jeans to cover their rips. When asked her opinion on the dress code, Lupita DeHaro said, “All signs in the dress codes are pointed to girls, with the tank tops, jeans, shorts, they don’t even pay attention to all the rules that a lot of guys are breaking.” 

One of the issues about our dress codes is that it seems to many students they try to blame girls for being harassed, or disrespected because of what they wear. They don’t seem to  talk to guys about being more respectful.

-Alina Ceja-Delgado

______________________________________________________________________________________

Why do administrators enforce dress codes in schools?

This current school year at Harvest Middle School, the administrators seem to be enforcing the dress code even further than before. The administrators have made these rules to make sure that students wear appropriate clothing as well as making sure they know how to dress properly.

In the past, the dress codes in schools have always been enforced to address certain issues. For example, according to adl.org, “There was a push for dress codes to prevent the promotion of gang-related violence in the 1990’s”. 

At certain schools, they require a uniform instead of a normal dress code. But even with a “normal dress code”, some people think that a different standard is applied to girls, though they have an understanding of why there is a dress code.

JD Carrera said she understood saying we have a dress code, “so there isn’t too much skin showing.”

7th/8th-grade teacher, Ms. Zorn, added, “One reason we have a dress code is because students need to learn how to dress appropriately for certain occasions.”

In conclusion, Dress code has been around a while and are created out of “social perceptions and norms, and vary based on purpose, circumstances and occasions”. Different societies and cultures are likely to have different dress codes fair or unfair.

-Adam Drozdowicz

“Do you think the dress code unfairly targets girls?”

A lot of girls at Harvest are asking themselves this question.

Many girls feel that they had to cover themselves up because of clothes being distracting to boys and others during our learning time. Valeria Dominguez said she thought that dress codes unfairly target girls, “because a lot of people think that boys pay attention to our skin but they don’t.”

Jocelyn Alverez added her perspective on the boys’ side of the dress code. She said, “Boys should get dress coded for sagging.” 

“I think it’s not really fair because if a guy is sagging they won’t get dress coded and if a girl is wearing short shorts then they will get dress coded,” said Nicki Haubold.

Ms. Zorn, Ms.Hoxie, and Ms. Bergner mentioned that the fingertip rule for girls shirts is not fair because every girl’s body is different and not every girl has the same body. And they also agreed that boys should get dress coded for sagging.

Jose Leyva was asked “should boys get dress coded?” He said, “Boys should not get dress coded for sagging because it is their style and if that’s how boys want to dress then they should be able to.”  Also asked if he thought that rips over girls knee that showed skin was distracting and he responded with a “NO.”

In the end, some girls do feel targeted in regards to dress code. They feel that they have to cover themselves up just because their clothes are said to be distracting to boys, and this is not really not fair.

-Hunter Andersen and Valeria Dominguez