Student News Site of Harvest Middle School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Social Media – Good or Bad for teens?

Social Media – Good or Bad for teens?

We all have social media, right? Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and more.

Social media is a group of online communication channels dedicated to community-based input, cooperation, content-sharing, and collaboration. Like all things, social media has negative and positive effects. It just depends on how you view it.

Some people view social media as a good thing, like Parker Rutherford, an 8th grader at Harvest who stated, “You can communicate with people far away. Also, you can find people that you already know!”

If you have friends or family that live far away, you can contact them easily and see what they’re up to. You can comment or like that post to notify them you’ve seen their post and to let them know that you are keeping in touch.

Others view social media as a bad thing. Some bad aspects of social media are cyberbullying, depression, anxiety/stress, lack of sleep, focus, and addiction. All teenagers need roughly 9 1⁄2 hours of sleep but most of them only get 7 hours of sleep per night because they’re addicted to social media. Without sleep, teens get more depressed and anxious and that can help them lose interest in learning and their hobbies.

Cyberbullying is worse than regular bullying. Cyberbullying is when someone says something mean about you online. With social media, everyone knows immediately. They get the notification on their phone and tap on it to see what’s up. This type of bullying can affect people at any age but it’s more common with teenagers because they are on social media 9 times out of 10.

“Even if someone says something that isn’t true about you, it still hurts,” says Joey Payne, a Harvest Middle School 8th grader.

There are two sides to social media, where do you stand?

Eyes of the Hawk • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in