Day of Dance/ Trap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Day of Dance/ Trap

Vintage High School performed a hip hop routine during the Day of Dance & Cheer last year.

Day of Dance returns to Napa High with many other people and dancers. The Day of Dance is for dancers who are all around Napa, including Harvest Middle School. The fourth annual “Day of Dance & Cheer” event on Sunday brought out more than 300 Napa’s local dancers and cheerleaders for a day of unity.

They don’t get scored but get announced, and all of the dances are very rehearsed. Hollie Johnson Schmidt, director of the NHS Spiritleaders and dance department, coordinated the event.

Maddy Aleven, a two-year jazz dancer at Harvest Middle School, says, “It was really fun. It was really good to be surrounded by supportive dancers of all levels. We have been practicing from August, for 4 months, for the day of dance.” Carla Calderon also said, ” I think they were really good and really determined. It was really exciting and overwhelming because there were a lot of older kids.”

The spirit leaders were very experienced because some of them are seniors. At the end of all the dances, there are many screams and cheers. When I asked 7th grader Lily Miller, How she felt being on the day of dance?, she said, “It was a good learning experience, and it was really fun being with my friends.” When I asked her what she thought of the other dances?, she replied, “They were all very interesting, and I liked all of the other styles.”

The Spiritleaders take this opportunity to give back to the community, so every year they donate some of their proceeds to a worthy cause. Two years ago, they gave back to the victims of the NorCal fire. Last year, they contributed to Alaina’s Voice Foundation.

Harvest Middle School performs a hip hop routine during last year’s Day of Dance & Cheer performance.

The trap musical is a theater program that was run by Napa High School. The NHS students directed the musical. The production is about an audience that is corrupted by some strange thing that makes them fall unconscious.

A detective tries to figure out what corrupts them. There are many twists in the plot, and it is a good story. It was kind of hard to follow along, but in the end, the story made sense. An incomprehensible event: every person in the audience of a high school play falls unconscious-every person but one.

Using interviews with witnesses, loved ones, first responders, and the investigators pursuing the case, a theatre ensemble brings the story of the strange event to life, documentary-style. But as the strands weave together into an increasingly dangerous web, it becomes clear that this phenomenon might not be entirely in the past.

Unnerving, exhilarating, and wildly inventive, you’ve never walked into anything quite like Trap. The theater page production at Napa says that they have one to two creations every year, but I’m glad that they did this production this year.