Napa County Declares Local Health Emergency Over COVID-19

Quinlin Gallagher

Toilet paper aisle at Bell Air Plaza Target.

On March 12th, 2020, the County of Napa declared a local healthy due to the rapid spread of COVID-19. As of now, there have been no reported cases in the county, minus the patients who were being treated at the Queen of the Valley Hospital.

“As of this message, we do not have any local confirmed cases in Napa County. But the situation in the United States is rapidly evolving,” public health officer Dr. Karen Relucio said in a county statement.

The County of Napa urges people to cancel or postpone public gatherings of more than 250 people.

With school being a “public gathering of more than 250 people,” many students are starting to wonder whether or not NVUSD schools will be shutting down due to the coronavirus.

On Tuesday, at a meeting with county health staff, it was agreed upon by officials with Office of Education and local school districts that they would deal with school closures on a campus-by-campus basis.

This means that if a faculty member or a student at the school is diagnosed with COVID-19, then the school will most likely be closed for two weeks (the incubation period of the virus), said county education Superintendent Barbara Nemko.

For now, they advise students to wash their hands and stay home if they are feeling sick.

For more in-detail information please check out this article from the Napa Valley Register.