Holy Ukelele!

Liliana Delgado Photo

Gabe Knight practices on a ukelele in Mrs. Lewis music class.

This year at Harvest Middle School, students are exploring their creative and musical side.

To unlock those talents,on Friday, September 20th, during eighth period in science classroom F-3,  29 energetic, jittery, and ecstatic Harvest Hawk students waited to open the large cardboard crate in the back of the classroom filled with 32 ukuleles.

All the students are to compose songs and prepare for a short concert over the next twelve weeks. They will be led by science teacher, Mrs. Lewis, who will help her students reach out to their musical and creative sides, which she is learning as well.

Harvest Middle School got the 32 instruments for about fifty dollars each. Lewis sees a key to unlocking the imagination of a class in which she said no more than a third have played an instrument before. They can play hundreds of songs using just three cords.

As one of Mrs. Lewis’ students, Gabe Knight said, “I also play the guitar so its kind of all similar but I really enjoy this period because I don’t have a set in stone time to play the guitar so its up to me to practice, but with the ukulele class I know I’m going to get to practice the ukulele”.

“The students first lesson was to learn the first chord” said  Mrs. Lewis’ teacher assistant, Griffin McDaniel. “Most of the students mastered it”.

The class is about learning the ukulele and the music itself. The students will write papers on famous people who played the ukelele.

After their concert in December the students will rotate out of the class. Her plans are to start a ukulele club and a weekly class during lunchtime.

“I also play the guitar so its kind of all similar but I really enjoy this period because I don’t have a set in stone time to play the guitar so its up to me to practice, but with the ukulele class I know I’m going to get to practice the ukulele”.”

— Gabe Knight

uke1

uke4