Does Music Increase Students’ Focus?

Do you enjoy music? If so, what kind? Recently at HMS, students have been allowed to listen to music in class, thankfully. However, some teachers say it is a bad idea because the students are more focused on the music than the class work.

I say yes, sometimes that is the case, but listening to music while you’re taking a test, depending on the type of music, creates less distraction for the student.

How you ask? Because, say if someone in the class is trying to talk to you while you’re taking a test. If you’re listening to music, there is less of a chance that you’d hear them. That way they would get in trouble, and you wouldn’t, for talking during a test.

Studies have shown that students that listen to music during class while they are working have preformedĀ better on their classwork/tests.

Personally I love to listen to music while I work. It’s just nice to listen to your favorite songs while doing something you usually don’t like to do. It kind of balances out the thing you hate with the thing you love to make it “fun-ish.”

Just like with chores, if you have music, it makes chores way more fun and less irritating.

What do you think about the whole “music in the class” idea? Are you for it, or against it?