8th Graders Explore Elective Options at Napa High School

Garret Romaine tries on a fireman's turnouts while exploring the Fire Science elective at Napa High.

Garret Romaine tries on a fireman’s turnouts while exploring the Fire Science elective at Napa High.

Napa High: fun, boring, interesting, etc. All of the 8th graders got to go on a walking field trip to Napa High School to see what the school has to offer for the new coming Freshmen.

The trip to Napa High was long, but fun because people got to walk with their friends, chat, and enjoy the day off from regular classes.

When the students got to Napa High they got to experience some interesting electives that the upcoming students are able to take such as: Wood shop/Construction, Fire Tech, Health/Medical Science, CSI.

In the Wood shop class students got to learn how to cut aluminum, cut wood safely, and see how all of the machines work. The students got to make themselves a neat little pencil holder and chess piece.

In the Fire Tech class, students got to see how the firemen did their work, how they practice putting out fires on multiple story buildings, how to throw a ladder (place it, not literally throw it), how to put on uniforms, and how to hold all the equipment (there was A LOT!). Students also got to see some of the drills the firemen have to do to toughen them up.

For the Health/Medical Science class students got to learn how to use a stethoscope and how some of the other equipment worked. What most students liked about that class was the teacher. The teacher was really “chill”, “funny”, and “amusing”. Most of the students said they wanted that class just because of the teacher!

And finally for C.S.I. class (Crime Scene Investigation), students got to learn how to take finger prints off of one surface and put it on another. They also got to see how the equipment was capable of doing what it did.

All in all, the field trip was a lot of fun. The main thing the students didn’t like was the walk to and from Napa High. I didn’t like it either, but it was well worth it!