Holiday Recipes from Harvest Students

Holiday Recipes from Harvest Students

We decided to ask some students around campus what they’re family makes that is homemade for the holidays. We got some quite interesting and very mouth watering answers.

Thanksgiving:

Hannah Newman was the first person I asked. She said her mom makes homemade noodles, this is the recipe that her mom uses and all you need is flour and eggs. First mix 4 eggs and flour until you can pick it up, then put it in a clean bowl and let it sit for half an hour. After that roll it out and put it in hot water and let it cook for 5 mins or until they looked cooked.

Camille Novak was the second person we asked. She said her grandma makes spaghetti, with a “super, duper secret sauce” that Camille doesn’t know how to cook. Her grandma also makes a bacon wrapped pig. Camille helps the family by making the mashed potatoes. She first peels the potatoes, then boils them, she adds vinegar, salt, pepper, butter, basil, and cilantro, blend that all together and you’re done. Her family also makes there own gravy where as they let the heart and liver of the turkey sit/cook for awhile and once its done cooking, they take the juice and use that as there gravy.

Christmas:

Abby Galloway was the first person I asked. She said her aunt makes Pupusas con Curtido. Combine cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Its better if you make the cabbage mixture a day before serving it. After making the cabbage mixture you have to combine the masa de harina, salt, and water in a mixing bowl. Knead to form a smooth, moist dough with a playdough-like consistency. With lightly oiled hands, form the dough into 8 balls. Using your thumb, make an indentation into one of the balls, forming a small cup. Fill the cup with 1 tablespoon of cheese and wrap the dough around the filling to seal it. Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the pupusas for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve while still warm with curtido on the side.

Cristyn Ramos was the second person I asked. She says her family makes a variety of meats for tacos, they also make pineapple tamales. You just need sugar, masa and pineapple chunks. First you make your masa and add in a couple tablespoons of sugar to sweeten the masa. Then add in plenty of pineapple chunks, so that you see the pineapple chunks every so often. Finally steam the tamales until they feel soft and moist.