LGBT Issues in Our Schools

LGBT Issues in Our Schools
Many of us know that Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender LGBT people have been treated unfairly for a while, and while many people believe that being gay is wrong, many other people have other opinions. It is not they’re fault that they are like that.
Middle schools have been dealing with kids who have been LGBT for a while now, and the government has actually influenced laws that state that while these children are in their schools they have to be protected from bullying, threats, and harassment by responsible adults just like every other students.

However, many teachers have been ignoring these laws, saying they don’t respect these laws, and while they witness the event of bullying they refuse to do anything about it.

Last spring, at Redwood Middle School, there was a big event that happened during school hours. Students protested because the school would not allow two students to be a couple . They tried to separate them from being a couple because they said it was not allowed at school.
The school then started a GSA club (Gay Straight Alliance) for the students of Redwood Middle School.
“I am very proud of the students for standing up for what they believe in,” Redwood Middle School principal, Drew Herron said.
An organization in Napa Valley exists for children, adults, teenagers who are LGBT. Their website is made to help people understand what they’re going through, and to help them deal with what they are going through responsibly.
The Napa “Network Of Care” is the name of their website, and if you are LGBT you should definitely check out this website. There have been many uprising’s in different middle schools, because of this topic. If your teachers, friends, or anyone is giving you a hard time because your are LGBT you have the right, by the law, to stand up to them.
Remember you are never alone, there is always a way to help those in need.
Recently we interviewed Codey Williams, a 25 year old gay person, about what his life was like, growing up, and being gay. We asked him many different questions about his life, and how being gay has effected him.
Our team: How did you find out you where gay?
Codey: “I fully understood I was gay in 4th grade, and it was very difficult, because back in the 90’s gay people were not very accepted by the people around them.
Our team: What was it like growing up gay?
Codey: ” I had to hide my feelings a lot, because again, many gay people didn’t have rights, like they do now.”
Our team: How did your family/friends react when you told them you were gay?
Codey: “Most of them already knew that I was gay, but they were just waiting for me to come out, before they asked any questions, but as for the rest of my family they
were very acceptance of the fact of sexuality, and said as long as I was happy that they were happy for me.
Our team: Have you ever been denied something because you were gay”
Codey: No I have not
After interviewing one gay person, we decided to ask around/ interview people on what they thought of gay people.
Our team: What do you think of gay people?
Hunter: They are just people, they are like me and you. They like who they like, they feel what they feel, they are like normal people.
Our team: If someone in your family was gay, how would you react?
Hunter: I would react how I normally treat them.
Dan Margolis: They are simply people like you and me, they should be treated like normal people, because that’s what they are, normal people.
People can’t help with who they fall in love with, they just fall in love, and sometimes they might hate themselves for it, but they can’t control it.
Our team: If someone in your family was/is gay how did/would you react?
Dan Margolis: I would treat them like I would treat a family member, a normal human being.

http://www.lgbtqconnection.org/